01 Purified to eliminate mercury
02 May help reduce your risk of coronary heart disease
03 Helps maintain healthy cholesterol and blood pressure
04 Promotes joint, brain and skin health
05 Supports the body's natural anti-inflammatory response
Top 10 Fish Oil Benefits
There are many benefits of fish oil, but there are the top 10 most scientifically proven effects.
- ADHD – The University of South Australia has determined that a combination of fish oil and evening primrose oil capsules can help reduce common symptoms of ADHD: inattention, hyperactivity, restlessness and impulsive behavior. According to the researchers, “Fish oil is believed to work via its effects on brain function. 60% of the brain is composed of fats, with the most important being polyunsaturated omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These must be obtained through diet and can be found in dark leafy vegetables, walnuts, linseeds and oily fish.”
- Anxiety – The European Journal of Neuroscience recently published a study earlier this year showing that fish oil reversed all anxiety-like and depression-like behavior changes induced in rats. This is an interesting study because it stresses the importance of supplementing with fish oil at “critical periods of brain development,” which is why we should give it to our kids from early on to help them so that they will not develop anxiety or depression later in life!
- Arthritis – An 18-month long study was published this year, which evaluated how borage seed oil – rich in GLA – and fish oil rich fared up against each other in treating patients with rheumatoid arthritis. It was discovered that all three groups (1 taking fish oil, 1 taking borage seed, and 1 taking a combination of the two) “exhibited significant reductions” in disease activity and no therapy outperformed the others. This is critical to emphasize because taking too many supplements are simply a waste of money.
- Alzheimer’s Disease – For several years now, the fish oil and Alzheimer’s Disease connection has been studied with consistent results: the essential fatty acids vital for brain function that are found in fish oil can not only slow cognitive decline, it can help prevent bran atrophy in older adults.
- Cancer – Fish oil has been found to help kill various cancers including colon, prostate and breast. Not only has research proven that it makes conventional cancer drugs more effective, it’s also an effective standalone therapy!According to Taiwanese investigators this past June, “Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are the major n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in fish oil that decrease the risk of prostate cancer.” Also in June, Czech researchers published a study explaining that DHA not only kills colon cancer as a standalone treatment, but also enhances current drug therapies that utilize TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand)!And still again in June, a group out of India published a study in Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology that, “Fish oil rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids has been preferred to chemosensitize tumor cells to anti-cancer drugs.” It was even revealed that fish oil improved “hematologic depression, digestion, liver and kidney toxicity!”
- Depression – We’ve already seen that fish oil can help with depression-like symptoms in rats, but what about people? This past June, the journal Nutritional Neuroscience published a study evaluating the effects of fish oil supplementation on prefrontal metabolite concentrations in adolescents with major depressive disorder. There was a 40% decrease in major depression disorder symptoms in addition to marked improvements in amino acid and nutrition content in the brain; specifically, the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.
- Diabetes – This year, Brain Research published some research that show how far-reaching fish oil can be for people with diabetes. In addition to learning that fish oil helps reduce the risk of diabetics from developing cognitive deficit because it protects the hippocampus cells from destroying. The study also showed that fish oil could help reverse one of the root causes of type II diabetes, oxidative stress.
- Eye Disorders – Fish oil has been shown to reverse dry eye, age-related eye disorders like cataracts. This past March, French researchers evaluated 290 patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and they discovered that dietary oil fish and seafood intake were significantly lower in AMD patients. Due to the high EPA and DHA levels, it was concluded that people at risk for neovascular AMD should take fish oil supplements.
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) – According to the Cardiovascular Research Institute in Maastricht in Netherlands, “Epidemiological studies showed that replacing fat by carbohydrate may even be worse and that various polyunsaturated fatty acids (FA) have beneficial rather than detrimental effects on CVD outcome.” This includes, they continue, fish-oil fatty acids with anti-inflammatory properties, which can help prevent and reverse a plethora of cardiovascular diseases.
- Immune Compromise – A recent study has shown that when the antioxidant astaxanthin is combined with fish oil, the immune boosting power is multiplied. This is why I recommend using an omega-3 fish oil supplement with astaxanthin and Vitamin D3 to increases how it’s absorbed into the body becoming even more effective!